A stylish 2dr tourer, well-proportioned, lightweight & reminiscent of a VdP design of the day. The 'cutaway' doors, rear-mounted spare wheel, quarter bumpers, correct lamps, horns, etc, all add to the car's handsome looks. A few years ago a new cylinder head and an oil filter conversion were fitted. We feel it likely that the engine was overhauled at the same time, although we have no way of confirming this so cannot claim it to be so. The car was fully re-wired in 2016 & in 2018 the car was stripped to bare aluminium, partially dismantled body-wise, wings removed, etc and treated to a fabulously high quality re-paint, not something we say that lightly. The standard of the paintwork is second to none, contributing of course to the smart overall appearance of the car, which extends to the very correct & clean engine bay. B192DG is in good order mechanically too, with a nice engine, gearbox, etc, light, agile & driving well. The car represents very good value when compared either to an original-bodied example of similar style in equivalent condition, or other re-bodies currently available. We imported the car from France in 2016, re-registered it on its original 1935 UK number & it has just come back from the owner of the last 3 years. Offered serviced, prepared & newly MoT’d.
Chassis No. B192DG Reg No. BXM 513
Snippets: Speed & Fun
The chassis cards of B192DG show the retailer was none other than H M Bentley & Partner of Hanover Court – H. M. Bentley was Horace Millner Bentley the brother of Walter Owen Bentley – the Bentley brothers started their 1st business together in 1912 as “Bentley & Bentley” selling the French DFP cars (Doriot, Flandrin & Parant). W. O. Bentley improved the performance of these cars & as a result he won several races at Brooklands setting new records for Class B in 1912 (66.78mph over 10 laps), 1913 (75.12mph) & in 1914 he achieved a flying mile of 89.7mph in a 2ltr DFP – after which the sales of the DFPs rapidly increased. The first owner of B192DG was Massey Henry Edgcumbe Lopes (1903/1992) – in 1938 upon the death of his father (Sir Henry Lopes) Massey Lopes inherited the title of Lord Roborough, the 2nd Baron. The Lopes family tree can be traced back to Jamaica where in the 1700s Mordecai Lopes owned a sugar plantation from which he made his fortune; in the late 1700s the Lopes family settled in London & upon Mordecai’s death in 1796 his son Mannaseh Massey Lopes inherited substantial wealth with which he purchased the estate at Maristow, Devon. Mannaseh Lopes immersed himself in local & national politics as well as land management and upon his death in 1831 his estate was in excess of 30,000 acres. As Sir Mannaseh did not have a son his estate was inherited by his nephew (his sister’s son) Ralph Franco who upon his inheritance altered his name to that of Lopes. In 1925 Massey H. E. Lopes joined the Royal Scot Greys and whilst serving with them he played on the Polo team which won the Inter-Regimental cup both in 1933 & 1938. Prior to the death of his father in 1938 Massey Lopes was the aide-de-camp to G. Villiers (6th Earl of Clarendon) the Governor-General of S. Africa. When Sir Henry Lopes died Massey Lopes resigned from the regiment but upon the outbreak of WWII he rejoined and was twice wounded in service. Sir Massey Lopes’ son George rang us about the car & it has become clear that B192DG was “mothballed” during this period, in 1952 George can remember sitting in the passenger seat of B192DG whilst en-route to the Coronation with his father saying “you watch the speedo & I’ll watch the road” – the speed achieved that day was a grand 82mph!! During the 1960s B192DG was re-bodied by Vincents of Reading into a shooting brake which did not aesthetically appeal to Sir Massey and he sold the car in the 1970s to a Mr Bennett. After selling B192DG Sir Massey did not purchase another Bentley as the later models did not appeal “only two reasons to buy a Bentley – Speed & Fun” – You can’t argue with that statement.
- +44Show phone
- 7 June 2019