1926' Standard Sl04 Park Lane S
Offered for sale by Barons Classic Car Auctioneers at Sandown Park Racecourse (KT10 9AJ) on Tuesday 25th February. For more photos and full details of the car, please see the listing on our website.
In the early 1920s saloon bodies were first offered; previously all cars had been tourers. The bodies had, since the move to Bishopsgate Green, been made in Coventry by the company itself, but it was not until 1922 that they were mass-produced, using a wooden track along which they were pushed by hand. The company was justifiably proud of the modern factory at Canley, boasting in its advertisements "It is a beautifully lighted and well-aired factory standing on the edge of a breezy common away from the city din and smoke, that the finishing touches and test are given to the All British 'Standard' Light cars which issue there to almost every quarter in the world". It was about this time during the early 1920s that the slogan "Count them on the road" appeared on every advertisement. By 1924 the company had a share of the market comparable to Austin Motor Company, making more than 10,000 cars in 1924. As the immediate post-war boom faded, many rival marques were discontinued. Cars became steadily larger and more elaborate as manufacturers sought to maintain sales. During the 1920s all the models were named after towns, not only near the factory such as Canley and Kenilworth but also further afield – Teignmouth, Falmouth and Exmouth.
This 1926 Standard Park Lane Saloon is described by the vendor to be in very good condition, and was running very well when it was put into storage a few years ago. The last MoT was carried out in 2011, and it was showing 291 miles. In 2010 it was showing 58 miles, 2009 45 miles, 2008 2,001 miles, 2007 1,965 miles, 2006 1,865 miles. The car has obviously had a major restoration at some point and has seen little use since. The interior is in amazing condition and is a very high specification. There is a large amount of paperwork with the car that the family are going through, and we will update the description when further information is received. What we do know is that the car is showing 3 previous keepers and is the 13.9 HP version.The car is featured on the cover of Cars and The Standard Motor Company Book by Phil Homer, as shown in the pictures, and is well known to the club.
The known history of the car is as follows:
26/3/26 - First owner Herbert Stirling Holmester, Burton-on-Trent.
1946 - Garth Howard Brocklehurst, Littleover Derbyshire. Date stamps in continuation Buff Log Book show the car being run in Derbyshire from 1946 to 1954.
Circa 1996 - Tom Gardham, West Yorkshire, acquired the car having bought it from a Barn Fire where the front end, including Bulkhead, and interior were badly damaged. Restored the car and ran it for some time.
January 2006 - Frank Darby, Hemel Hempstead, bought the car and ran it alongside his other 3 classic cars. No significant modifications.
December 2014 - Ian Burt, Chatham, bought the car in very smart condition and did over 2,000 miles, attending local meetings and some substantial journeys.
November 2016 - Sold to the present owner who is now offering it for sale.
- +44Show phone
- 12 February 2020