Production of the Rolls-Royce 20HP ceased in 1929, making way for the all-new 20/ 25 which was produced until 1936. The new 20/ 25 retained the 6-cylinder single carburettor, overhead valve engine which had been issued to its predecessor, but it was upgraded to 3699cc producing better acceleration and a higher top speed. The four-speed manual gearbox with right hand lever change was also improved with the fitment of synchromesh to third and fourth gear from 1932 onwards. The 20/ 25 was produced by Rolls-Royce in tandem with production of the Phantom II, giving buyers a multitude of options.
Almost 4, 000 chassis were produced between 1929 and 1936 and were fitted with a vast array of coachwork styles and designs, most with formal four door saloon bodies, but a few were completed with more exotic coachwork, such as Chassis No GWE67 which we are currently offering for sale.
It was originally completed in late 1934 with three position sedanca coupe coachwork by H. J. Mulliner and supplied new by Jack Barclay Ltd to its first owner, Mr Maxwell Morris of Regent Street in London W1. The original build records state it was designed “mainly for fast touring.” Early period photos of GWE67 show that it was originally finished in pale grey with a light fabric roof. The car changed hands four times between 1935 and 1953, remaining always in the UK. However in 1966 the car was purchased and exported to the USA by Mr Terry Fleming of Atlanta Georgia.
Almost thirty years on in 1994, Chassis No GWE67 had just finished being extensively restored whilst in the ownership of Mr Lex Hawkins of Iowa. It was subsequently awarded the coveted “Best Pre-War Car” award at the annual RROC Rally held in Philadelphia, praise indeed for the quality of the restoration works that had been carried out, costing around $200, 000 at the time.
Frank Dale & Stepsons first had the privilege of offering GWE67 for sale in 2008, when sold from our London showroom to a collector in the UK. It was sold to the most recent owner in 2017 and has been fastidiously maintained during this period, by the likes of Fiennes and A&S Engineering. An overdrive has also been added in recent years, to allow higher cruising speeds in top gear.
Some thirty years on from its extensive restoration works, Chassis GWE67 still presents and drives beautifully. It is complete with a detailed history file, chassis cards, restoration records and comes fitted with a beautiful small tool kit in the drop down tray in the cars boot. A superb example in every respect and ready for its next owners immediate use, perhaps for some “high speed touring” or further concours events.